The main vacation this year was a four week long road trip, spanning 14 US states, and three Canadian provinces.
A more detailed report for each day of the trip can be found in separate blog posts, which you eventually will find in the list at the bottom of this article.
We started by flying from Stavanger, via Toronto, to Denver. For some reason, Denver has turned into our “default US airport”. After a short night in Denver, we started on our adventure. The first part of the trip took us to Seattle, via Badlands NP and Banff in Canada.
After attending the Going APE mega, and visiting HQ, we continued south through Oregon and California, visiting the national parks along the way. We also managed to find caches in the rest of the counties we hadn’t yet visited in Nevada – making Nevada the second state we have completed.
After traveling on Route 66 for a bit, we did a detour up to Salt Lake City, before heading down into Arizona – to get the last counties we needed there. And this made Arizona the third state we have completed. Just for fun, we also made sure to visit Truth or Consequences. After a quick drive through Texas, we stopped at Carlsbad Caverns, before heading up to Roswell and then eventually back up to Denver.
We spent a lot more time on the road this year, compared to last year, but we found about the same amount of caches. Like last year, we also shifted the day a bit, and got up before or almost at sunrise every day of the trip. Except that we got up even earlier this year, mostly before 6am. Crazy, we know.
Total miles driven in USA & Canada: 8 260.5 mi / 13 294 km
Total caches found: 1 222
Total DNF: 51
Caches found in USA: 1 150
Caches found in Canada: 72
Events hosted on the trip: 3
Earthcaches created on the trip: 2
US states visited: 14
US counties visited: 105
Canadian provinces visited: 3
Virtual caches found during the trip: 106
Earthcaches found during the trip: 73
Webcam caches found during the trip: 0
Major milestones hit during the trip: 21 000 finds (thomfre), 17 000 finds (Heltinnen), 6 000 US finds
We found a total of 1 222 caches (51 DNF) across 14 US states and 3 Canadian provinces.
We hosted our own events in Bryce Canyon, Whites City and Roswell. And we attended events in Seattle, Salt Lake City and Williams. We’ve met a lot of nice people, and maybe we’ll meet some of them again some other place in the world?
We’ve taken a whole lot of photos, and we will upload a lot of them together with the logs.
Curious about which caches we found? You can see all of them on our trip report on cachetur.no, which you can find here.
States and provinces visited
- South Dakota
- British Columbia
- New Mexico
National parks and monuments visited
- Badlands National Park
- Minuteman Missile National Historic Site
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Banff & Kootenay National Parks
- Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument
- Crater Lake National Park
- Yosemite National Park
- Kings Canyon National Park
- Sequoia National Park
- Zion National Park
- Bryce Canyon National Park
- Pipe Spring National Monument
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park
…and several of state parks.
We’ve had an amazing and awesome trip, and we brought home a lot of great memories!
Read more detailed about our trip
- Day 1 – Nice to see you again, Denver!
- Day 2 – The journey begins
- Day 3 – The Black Hills
- Day 4 – Going north
- Day 5 – The other Rockies
- Day 6 – Banff
- Day 7 – Back to the US
- Day 8 – Going APE
- Day 9 – From the Lily Pad to the Launch Pad
- Day 10 – Blockbuster or bust!
- Day 11 – The big blue
- Day 12 – Alpine lakes and counties
- Day 13 – Yosemite
- Day 14 – Among giants
- Day 15 – Back on Route 66
- Day 16 – A long term project
- Day 17 – Neon and red rocks
- Day 18 – Colorful rocks
- Day 19 – From Canyon to City
- Day 20 – Big birds and virtuals
- Day 21 – Go Grand!
- Day 22 – The Sonoran Desert
- Day 23 – The rest of Arizona
- Day 24 – Guadalupe Mountains