The main vacation this year was a four week long road trip, spanning 10 US states, and one Mexican state.
A more detailed report for each day of the trip can be found in separate blog posts, which you eventually will find in the list at the bottom of this article.
We had two major goals this year. The first one was visiting the last two states we hadn’t visited yet, the second was completing the requirement for the Visit Utah GeoTour.
We started by flying from Bergen, via Reykjavik, to Anchorage. After a couple nights in Alaska, we continued to the Big Island of Hawaii, via LAX. And that was the last state we needed, we have now visited all 50! And D.C.!
After spending some days on Hawaii, we took a direct flight to Denver (red-eye). We took the shortest route (almost) to Moab, after a quick detour up to the summit of Mt. Evans. We worked our way through the remaining counties of Utah, with quick detours through Wyoming, Idaho and Nevada.
With the GeoTour requirements completed, we continued through Nevada and California (with about an hour in Mexico), before ending up in Arizona. Then it was time to head east, into New Mexico. Before the last leg of the trip, north back to Denver.
We spent less time on the road this year, compared to last year, but we found more caches. We also shifted the day a bit, and got up before or almost at sunrise every day of the trip. Crazy, we know.
Total miles driven in USA: 6 795.5 mi / 10 936.3 km
Total miles driven in Alaska: 583.3 mi / 938.73 km
Total miles driven on Hawaii: 386 mi / 621.2 km
Total miles driven on the mainland: 5 826.2 mi / 9 376.36 km
Total caches found: 1 297
Total DNF: 53
Caches found in USA: 1 287
Caches found in Mexico: 4
US states visited: 10
US counties visited: 68
Virtual caches found during the trip: 74
Earthcaches found during the trip: 61
Webcam caches found during the trip: 5
Major milestones hit during the trip: 19 000 finds (thomfre), 15 000 finds (Heltinnen), 5 000 US finds
We found a total of 1 287 caches (47 DNF) in 68 counties in 10 US states. Plus 4 caches (6 DNF) in Mexico.
We hosted our own event on Hawaii, and attended another one in Salt Lake City. We’ve met a lot of nice people, and maybe we’ll meet some of them again some other place in the world?
We’ve taken a whole lot of photos, and we will upload a lot of them together with the logs.
Curious about which caches we found? You can see all of them on our trip report on cachetur.no, which you can find here.
- New Mexico
And a short visit to Baja California in Mexico.
National parks and monuments visited
- Denali National Park
- Pu’ukoholā Heiau National Historic Site
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park (closed, but we drove through)
- Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park
- Canyonlands National Park
- Arches National Park
- Capitol Reef National Park
- Bryce Canyon National Park
- Golden Spike National Historic Site
- Great Basin National Park
- Cedar Breaks National Monument
- Zion National Park
- Hoover Dam
- Saguaro National Park
- White Sands National Monument
…and a lot of state parks.
We’ve had an amazing and awesome trip, and we brought home a lot of great memories!
Read more detailed about our trip
- Day 1 – Anchorage here we come!
- Day 2 – To Denali and back
- Day 3 – To the skies!
- Day 4 – The number is 50!
- Day 5 – Volcanoes everywhere
- Day 6 – On top of Hawaii
- Day 7 – 100% Kona Coffee
- Day 8 – On top of the world
- Day 9 – To the land of canyons
- Day 10 – The four corners
- Day 11 – The scenic route
- Day 12 – On the road again
- Day 13 – All seasons in one day
- Day 14 – Hunting high and low
- Day 15 – A Golden Day
- Day 16 – From Slide to Salt
- Day 17 – In the middle of nowhere
- Day 18 – Mountains and valleys
- Day 19 – Where have all the tourists gone
- Day 20 – We did it!
- Day 21 – Vegas!
- Day 22 – The Mother Road
- Day 23 – HMD
- Day 24 – To Mexico and back
- Day 25 – Airplanes everywhere
- Day 26 – White Sands
- Day 27 – The last full day on the road
- Day 28+ – Going home